Site 26 – All Saints Community Church

The first Church of England services at Burren Junction were held in private homes, including “Wyndella” and “Dumard.” The earliest recorded service took place on Easter Monday 1904 during the ministry of Rev. Herbert Shaw from Wee Waa. His service register noted that the collection of 12 shillings and 8 pence was completely absorbed by expenses.

As Burren Junction continued to grow, so did the need for a permanent place of worship. In October 1904 it was announced that Mr Coppleson had generously donated land for the church. By May 1905, the community had accepted the tender of M. B. Kinnear to build the new church, with local businessman H. Cadden generously offering financial assistance to ensure the project could proceed.

The building was completed on schedule and All Saints Church was dedicated by Bishop Cooper on 21 August 1905. It was a memorable occasion for the district, with a large congregation, a community luncheon and nine young people confirmed. Those attending also decided that the church would have free seating, ensuring it remained open to everyone.

One of the more unusual entries in the church register came on 22 December 1907, when Rev. North simply recorded:

“Plague of grasshoppers in the church — had to preach outside.”

During its early years the church was supported by many dedicated local families. Mrs Zillah Moore served faithfully as caretaker and organist for many years, while her brother A. B. Baldwin, together with James Slack-Smith, Charlie Holcombe, Frank Holcombe, the Brumby family and many others devoted countless hours to maintaining both the church and its congregation.

Disaster struck in December 1929 when a violent windstorm completely destroyed the original church. Fortunately, much of the furniture was saved and services continued in the School of Arts Hall while the community worked to raise funds for a replacement. (Image below)

Once again, the people of Burren Junction rallied together. Through the generosity and determination of local residents, a new church was completed and fully paid for by 1936. The present church was dedicated in September 1936, with Charlie Holcombe becoming the first communicant and Dorothy Holcombe the first bride when she married Eric Slack-Smith of “Wyndella” in October that year.

Today the building has entered a new chapter in its history as All Saints Community Church Burren Junction Inc, a registered charity. Following the Anglican Church's decision to sell the building, Bishop Rod Chiswell  conducted a Service of Secularisation at the All Saints Anglican Church at 2pm on Sunday 1st February 2026. While continuing its Christian ministry, the organisation serves as a welcoming community hub, promoting reconciliation, mutual respect and inclusion throughout the district.

The church is also undergoing an ongoing restoration program to preserve this important heritage building for future generations. The beautifully restored Edwin Charles Holcombe Family Memorial Window has been reinstated, while fundraising continues for the restoration of the historic Good Shepherd Window, ensuring these treasured stained-glass windows can once again be enjoyed by the community.

More than 120 years after the first Anglican service was held in Burren Junction, All Saints continues to stand as a symbol of faith, resilience and community spirit.

Photos

Photo   All Saints Community Church Burren Junction Inc today. Sheep grazing beside the church reflect Burren Junction’s long history as a pastoral and wool-producing district.

Photo   All Saints Church following its rebuilding in 1936 after the original church was destroyed in the 1929 windstorm.

Photo   Inside All Saints Community Church. The restored Edwin Charles Holcombe Family Memorial Window (right) has been reinstalled, while fundraising continues for the restoration of the Good Shepherd Window (left).