Site 2 – Fred Newland and Bill Finlan's Wagon Camp

Standing before you is one of the oldest surviving commercial buildings in Burren Junction. Built in 1903, it provides a rare glimpse into what the town looked like during its early years and is believed to be a good example of the simple timber and iron structures that lined the main street during the first decades of the twentieth century.

In the early days of Burren Junction, this part of town was a busy commercial centre servicing local residents, travellers and the surrounding farming community. Among the businesses operating along this street were George Sarquis' store, a baker's shop where brandy snaps could be purchased for just one penny, Bill Hindes' butcher shop, later owned by Bill Murphy, Mr Pollock's saddlery and bootmaking business, and Charlie Thompson's blacksmith shop.

This building was associated with Fred Newland and Bill Finlan, who operated a wagon camp from the site. Before the arrival of modern trucks and sealed roads, wagon teams played a vital role in transporting goods, supplies and produce across the district. Heavy wagons drawn by teams of horses were a familiar sight on the black-soil plains, carrying everything from wool and grain to household supplies and equipment needed by the growing community.

The historic photographs show the type of horse teams and wagons that worked throughout the district during this period. These teams were the lifeblood of rural transport and helped connect Burren Junction with surrounding properties and towns long before modern freight services existed.

Disaster struck in 1923 when a fire swept through the business area, destroying many of the original buildings along the street. Among those lost were the baker's shop, butcher's shop, saddlery, blacksmith's shop and several other early businesses that had helped establish the township.

Remarkably, this building survived and remains standing today, making it one of the few physical links to Burren Junction's earliest commercial precinct. More than 120 years after it was built, it continues to tell the story of the pioneers, tradesmen, merchants and wagon drivers who helped build the town.

Historical information sourced primarily from Visions of the Plains – A History of Burren Junction and District (2nd Edition) by Judy Field, together with local family recollections and community records.

Photos on this page

Photo 

One of Burren Junction's oldest surviving commercial buildings, built in 1903.

Photo 

The building as it appeared many years ago.

Photo

Heavy horse teams carried goods and supplies across the black-soil plains.

Photo

Bullock teams delving the artesian bore drains that watered the stock.

Photo

The men and horses who helped keep the district connected.