Site 11 – CWA Emergency Hospital

In the early 1930s, access to medical care in rural New South Wales was limited. For the families of Burren Junction, serious illness or childbirth often meant travelling long distances over rough roads. Determined to improve healthcare for their community, the women of the Burren Junction Country Women’s Association set about creating their own emergency hospital.

The idea had been growing for several years. As early as 1926, the Burren CWA had been campaigning for a Bush Nurse to serve the district. By 1932, the community had raised £250 towards establishing a hospital, while John Slack-Smith and George Collins generously donated two blocks of land in Houlahan Street for the project.

The building was completed and officially opened on 25 October 1932 by the State President of the Country Women’s Association of New South Wales, Mrs Matt Sawyer. Known as the CWA Emergency Hospital, it was administered by a dedicated committee of local women including Mesdames Gordon, Slack-Smith, Herring, Killen and Colless, together with Miss Enid MacKenzie.

Although modest in size, the hospital quickly became an essential service for the district. Registered as a two-bed hospital, it was almost continually occupied. The first doctor was Dr Delamotte and Miss Gilling became the first nurse, later followed by Sister Glassford and Matron Green. Patients were charged £3 per week, with an additional £1 for the use of the operating theatre.

The little hospital played an important role in the lives of many district families. During the 1930s alone, it cared for dozens of patients and welcomed many local babies into the world. Among those born there were Richard Garvey, Murray Holcombe, Beverley Webber, Margaret Slack-Smith, Peter Chapman, and Les, Brian and Neville Stevens. As the number of patients grew, wards extended onto the verandahs to meet demand.

Like many small rural hospitals, financial pressures and staffing challenges made it difficult to operate. In 1938, efforts were made to convert it into a public hospital, but despite the tireless fundraising and dedication of the community, the hospital closed during the early years of the Second World War. The building was later rented as consulting rooms for Dr Heauman before eventually being offered for sale in 1946.

Although the hospital operated for only a relatively short time, its impact on Burren Junction was enormous. Within these walls, babies were born, lives were saved, illnesses were treated and families found comfort during times of need. Today the building still stands as a lasting reminder of what a determined rural community could achieve. Through fundraising, volunteering and countless hours of hard work, the women of the Burren CWA created a hospital that cared for their neighbours when it mattered most.

Historical information sourced from Visions of the Plains – A History of Burren Junction and District (2nd Edition) by Judy Field and the Burren Junction CWA History, together with local community recollections.

Photo

The Building Today

The former CWA Emergency Hospital as it appears today. Opened in 1932, this modest building provided vital medical care to Burren Junction and the surrounding district during the 1930s.

Photo

Another View of the Hospital

A second view of the former CWA Emergency Hospital, built through the determination, fundraising and generosity of the Burren Junction community.

Photo

Official Opening

Opening of the Burren Junction CWA Emergency Hospital on 25 October 1932. The hospital was officially opened by Mrs Matt Sawyer, State President of the Country Women’s Association of New South Wales.

Photo

First Nurse

Miss Gilling, the hospital’s first nurse, with Miss Valerie Holcombe, CWA Secretary, at the official opening of the Burren Junction CWA Emergency Hospital in 1932.

Photo

Original Building Plans

Original architectural plans for the Burren Junction CWA Emergency Hospital. The building was designed as a two-bed emergency hospital to provide essential medical care for the district.